WE WILL PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS
Whether you’re a home owner, a landlord or a tenant, it’s easy for things to go sour and for you to end up in a dispute you don’t want to have to deal with. From squatters who need to be evicted to nightmare landlords, there are many potential housing problems that are hard to manage on your own.
Our housing solicitors can help
We understand the challenges of the landlord and tenant relationship and have acted on both sides of disputes. We are experienced in all matters relating to housing law including:
- Drafting tenancy agreements. We’ll make sure that everything is in order and that your rights are protected by law.
- Rent or mortgage arrears. If you’re behind in payments it doesn’t have to mean that you will be evicted. Our housing solicitors can help you negotiate a payment plan with your lender or landlord and negotiate a settlement before any eviction proceedings are lodged.
Housing disrepair claims. Landlords have a responsibility to see that their property is kept in good repair. If they aren’t meeting their responsibilities we can help you bring a case against them.
- Eviction and repossession. If you can’t pay your mortgage or rent and are facing eviction, there are a number of avenues we can explore before you are actually evicted. I
- Illegal eviction. If you are a tenant who has already been evicted, we might be able to have you allowed back into the property and be compensated for the eviction. If you’re a landlord being accused of illegal eviction our housing solicitors can defend your rights.
- Harassment. If your landlord is behaving in a threatening manner, or visiting you without warning, we can have an injunction brought against them.
- Transfers and allocations of council accommodation. If you’ve applied for council accommodation our housing solicitors can help guide you through the allocation scheme.
- Homelessness applications. If you’ve been made homeless you will be able to apply to your local council or housing association for housing. We can help with the application.
What help can we offer you?
We operate a LEGAL AID CONTRACT for Housing and Debt advice matters and we can offer housing advice to individuals who qualify for legal aid, and for those individuals who do not qualify for legal aid, we provide a fixed fee service, please contact us to request a quote.
We can offer advice and assistance under LEGAL AID to clients about a wide range of housing matters including help and representation at court for individuals facing:
- possession proceedings;
- rent arrears;
- Housing disrepair
- Applications to vary or discharge an injunction under section 153A of the Housing Act 1996
- Injunctions under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997
- anti-social behaviour proceedings.
- All aspects of homelessness and judicial review to do with housing
- The Law Society: Renting a Home
- The Law Society: Renting Out Your Property
- Housing and local services
- Crisis – a charity that provides support to people who are facing homelessness.
- Shelter – a charity that provides housing advice and support for individuals facing issues such as homelessness.
- Coventry City Council – information on applying for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) and other benefits can be found here.
- Homelessness Code of Guidance for Local Authorities
- Check if you qualify for legal aid to get help with civil cases.
AWARDS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
The team at Clifton Law hold several qualifications and accreditations. We are proud to include an officially accredited member of The Law Society holding an accreditation for our work in Immigration and Asylum.